Unit Shift # 6
All of these possession soccer drills give attention to keeping possession. They will assist your squad create an efficient support to the player with the ball to be able to keep possession.
Probably the most vital components of possession training is definitely the amount of good touches a player has. A reasonably competitive possession drill needs to require players execute on the edge of their skill to achieve success whilst getting a lot of touches. The pace of the drills must be substantial, pushing speed of decision making and quickness of play.
Print/Download This Drill
- 2 teams
- grid (30yds x 40yds)
- cones to mark off area
- 2x end zones 3-5 yards deep
- play 4v4 with neutral players
- each team tries to score by getting ball in other end zone under control, pass or dribble
- all players must be in one half
- players cannot enter the other half until the ball does (dribble or pass)
- if defending team wins possession they score in that half before crossing over
- play 3v3, 5v5 etc.
- attacking team must utilize neutral players before they can score
- adjust spacing depending on the age and ability of the group
- look for open space
- lead passes
- quick transitions
- shift as a unit
- supporting runs