Combination Plays # 1
Print/Download This Drill
- supply of balls
- cones to mark off area
- goals at each end
- Supply of balls with coach.
- Practice starts with: coach feeding ball into Attacker.
- Objective of practice: each team attempts to score in opponent’s goal in 1v1 situation.
- Player in possession is able to use support from team mate(s) on outside to retain possession & create new angles of attack.
- 5 points awarded for each goal.
- Continue playing from GK save.
- Players rotate position after each attack
- Area modified depending on age & ability of players.
- Simple progressions for this practice are:
- If player in possession feels threatened by D: pass to team mate on outside who can dribble infield & attack goal.
- Player on outside can work inside practice area to make 2v1, if used as a pass outlet.
- If 2v1 is created with use of player from outside: a 2nd. D can enter to make 2v2.
- When 2v2 situation is established: 3rd. A is allowed to join-in to make 3v2.
- Use of body feints to unbalance opponent & change of speed to get past opponent (moving slowly to go fast).
- Drawing/engaging opponent.
- Creating space to beat opponent & exploiting space in behind.
- Maintaining composure when challenged & turned around by good defending.
- Use of peripheral vision to identify outlet passing opportunity to team mate on outside.