This is such a tasty dish! It feels like it should be a staple at holidays, but is also great for dinners anytime. It would be great to sprinkle with chopped green onions on top also! Enjoy!
Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes
Author: Mom Let’s Eat
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 4 russet potatoes, sliced into ¼ inch rings
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Layer half of the potatoes into bottom of casserole dish. Top with onion slices, the add the remaining potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt. Stir constantly for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 1 minute. Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake 1½ hours in the preheated oven.