This dish was very highly rated on a site I frequent, so I decided to give it a try. It was the favorite of all that I have made thus far. When I tell you it disappeared quickly, is an understatement. By the time one finished and went back for seconds, the pie plate was empty. I had only made one because I was unsure of how everyone would like it…Next time I shall make three!
Cookware, Pots/Pants, etc. You’ll Need
Here is a list of what you’ll need to prepare this recipe:
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cups frozen peas
- ½ cup sliced celery
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- 1¾ cups chicken broth
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place to chicken mixture in a bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges and cut away excess dough. make several small slits in the stop to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.