I am yet to meet a person that tells me they do not like mac-n-cheese. It is definitely a favorite in our house. But when you get a chance to make it from scratch and your kids approve, it is an absolute win! Here is a quick and easy, homemade, MAC & CHEESE recipe that is sure to please everyone. Get the kids involved and they will appreciate it even more.
Cookware, Pots/Pants, etc. You’ll Need
Here is a list of what you’ll need to prepare this recipe:
Macaroni and Cheese
Here is a quick and easy, homemade, MAC & CHEESE recipe that is sure to please everyone. Get the kids involved and they will appreciate it even more.
Author: Hazel Eyes Mom
Recipe type: Quick & Easy
- 2.5 cups of macaroni
- 4 tbsp of butter
- 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of mustard powder
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 2 cups of cold milk
- 8 ounces of shredded cheese
- 8 ounces of processed [Velveeta or Frito] cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large pan of lightly salted water, cook macaroni for about 9 minutes [set a timer]. You do not want to overcook it as it needs to absorb some of the cheese sauce when it’s baking.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat - melt the butter.
- Add the flour, mustard powder and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Slowly pour in the milk. Whisk for 4-5 minutes until the sauce starts thickening and little bubbles form on the edges of the pan.
- Add the shredded/ processed cheese but continue stirring until the sauce is smooth.
- By this time, the macaroni should be done – drain and transfer to a casserole dish.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni and cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes covered and the 5 minutes uncovered.
TIPS: When you take the foil off but before you put it back in for the last 5 minutes, add some seasoned breadcrumbs and/ or more shredded cheese for added texture and flavor.