These make ahead chicken enchiladas are a GREAT quick meal! I cheat a little on this recipe by using pre-made enchilada sauce and sometimes I even buy rotisserie chicken from the store! (I’m a horrible mom, I know! 😉 )
Shred the chicken then add the bell pepper, onion, sour cream, cream cheese, parsley, and approximately 2 cups of the cheese. The amount of chicken and cheese you use will depend on your preference. Stir the ingredients together in a large bowl for the enchilada filling.
Put a small amount down the center of each tortilla, then roll up.
For a make ahead meal, put the rolled enchiladas without sauce in a gallon freezer bag.
If you are making them to eat immediately, put a small amount of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a glass dish (I use a 9×13). Then place the rolled enchilada with the seam down in the sauce. Cover with more sauce, then top with the left over cheddar cheese. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
My favorite store bought sauce is made by Frontera but most brands are good.
If you want to have some on hand for later, pour the enchilada sauce in an ice cube tray and CAREFULLY place in the freezer until its solid.
Then dump the tray into a freezer bag to store.
When you are ready to make the dish, first defrost a few pieces of sauce in the bottom of your baking dish. Then add the frozen enchiladas and place a few frozen pieces of enchilada sauce over top. Cook at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until the sauce is melted. You might have to spread it out a little with a spoon. Top with cheddar cheese and place back in the oven covered with foil for about 15 minutes. Remove the foil and cook until cheese is bubbly and inside is hot. This normally takes another 10-15.
SERVE to your hungry family! 😉
I also heat these up individually in the microwave. I normally defrost a “cube” on the plate first, then add the frozen enchilada (or two) with a cube on top of each. I heat for 1-2 minutes, covered (so it doesn’t splatter). Then I add a little cheese and heat for approximately 1 more minute.
- 1-2 cooked and shredded chicken breast (boiled, grilled or
- small chopped green bell pepper
- small chopped onion
- 2-2½ cups of cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ of a block of
- 2 heaping Tbs. of parsley
- soft taco tortillas
store boughtenchilada sauce
- Combine shredded chicken (amount will depend on how much you prefer), sour cream, cream cheese, onion, bell pepper, parsley, and 2 cups of the cheese (you can use more
ofless depending on your preference).
- Pour a small amount of the sauce in the bottom of a rectangle glass baking dish (I use a 9 x 13)
- Put a small amount of the mixture in the center of each tortilla, roll and place seam down in
- Once you have all your enchiladas rolled, pour more sauce over top.
- Cover with more cheese, then bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 20 or until bubbly.
- **To freeze, make the enchiladas without the sauce and freeze in a gallon freezer bag. When you are ready to make them, add the sauce to a pan and place the frozen enchiladas inside, cover with more sauce and cheese then cook covered with foil for about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and cook
an approximately15 minutes more. Check the inside temp of one to make sure they are hot through and through.
To find more quick recipes or make ahead meals, check out our Quick Meals section.